I wrote the vast majority of Funkwhale's user-facing documentation a couple of years ago when I was still quite naïve to technical writing. For this reason, it's starting to show its limitations a bit now.
Since then it's not really seen enough love and several things about it probably need to be updated and enhanced:
- Language needs to be simplified to accomodate users who don't speak English as a first language.
- Additional frontend features need to be properly documented (preferably with images/video content for visual learners).
- Frontend and backend need to be properly documented from a developer perspective to aid onboarding.
- A consistent writing style needs to be employed across all documentation (similar formatting, header language, etc.).
- Preferably, we should look to add localization to the docs to enable more users to get involved.
This is just a quick thread to summarize my thoughts on the matter. Please feel free to add any suggestions.