I wanted to open up the discussion about ipfs and blockchain.
State of fw art
We have receive various demands concerning these technologies : implementing ipfs, implementing a micro-donation system based on the blockchain. We've rejected theses as they do not seemed to correspond to our roadmap but also because of our values :
- blockchain advocates proclain to resolves problems through technical solution when theses problems are socials problem and can only be solves by social :means.
- right to forget : what is on the blockchain stays on the blockchain. How can we solve moderation issues ?
- we do not want to spend time implementing something we don't believe in
Finding a compromise
Personally I agree on the previous statements. But I also think ipfs is a really powerful tools and that I don't see arguments agains it :
- It can be used only as a data storage. Thus the db still run locally and there isn't privacy concerns.
- What about private / copyrighted content ? Obviously this should be only enable for pod having a policy of "sharing is caring" since every song uploaded can't be deleted.
- We still have a platform based on web2.0, with the same power management structure.
I see various thing in favor :
- Pods without a lot of space storage can upload music from the ipfs network
- Content can't be censured and can be accessed by other clients
- ipfs is used by the libgen and peertube project which I think share our principles